Monday, February 20, 2017

Living in community

I was asked earlier today what that phrase, concept means to me. What does "living in community" entail?

To me, living in (a) community such as Bonhoeffer or Cochran Houses, or any of the communities in the DFW area, means living and working together to minister to and help each other and the people in the neighborhoods we live in. It includes a sense of belonging (something I desperately need right now). We can talk and laugh (and cry) and pray together.

At this point, the leaders of the Epworth Project are concerned about me moving from the streets straight into a community. If I hadn't had experience with community living (admittedly not "intentional Christian communities"), I could probably see their point. But I've had roommates/housemates before, and I've generally gotten along with them. Certainly we've had differences, and for the most part we've been able to work through them.

Now, I realize that living in a house with three or four other people is a lot different than living in an apartment building. When you have separate apartments, you can pretty much avoid anyone you don't get along with, whereas living in a house you have to be able to work things out. I think I can do that. And if I can't work things out with whoever I have a problem with, well, I'm assuming that's partly why they have house meetings.

Also, being part of an Epworth community would help alleviate some of the loneliness and disconnectedness I'm feeling right now, and isn't that important too? Sure, I'm part of the Bonhoeffer community, and I'm becoming part of the Cochran community, but I still feel like I'm on the outside looking in most of the time (which I am). There's so much I can't be involved with because it's only for house residents, which I can understand. But that doesn't make me feel better about not being included.

All this is to say that I do realize that living in community is and will be hard work, and I am definitely willing to put in the hard work necessary to bring what I consider is my spiritual gift of mercy (empathy) to whatever community I live in. All I need is a chance.

My counselor at the church is going to help me find some groups to join. I'm already planning to join one of the "Meet and Eat" groups (that's one thing I'm quite good at! 😁), and I've also been invited to join United Methodist Women. We'll see what else I can get involved with...

No comments:

Post a Comment